Nowadays, data has become very important in all industries, and that is why thousands of companies hailing from multiple sectors are resorting to data analytics tools. Using BI and data analysis tools can prove to be helpful for businesses in any sector, as it is. Even the sports sector can benefit a lot from the implementation of proper BI solutions and technologies. Businesses hailing from this sector can gain from hiring the right Power BI consulting services.
Why is using BI tools in the sports sector necessary?
These days, sports are not just about physical games. On the contrary, it is more like a numbers game. Whether it is basketball, baseball, football, or soccer- it involves big players and a huge amount of investment, eventually. In the last few years, sports sector entities have started deploying specialized Big Data Analytics tools. Deployment of artificial intelligence technologies and machine learning is impacting and altering the sports industry in unprecedented ways.
The sports sector companies are making great use of BI tools and data analysis systems to interpret statistical data. Analysis of such huge amounts of data and predictive analysis features in such tools can be beneficial for the athletes, coaches/trainers, and teams in the long run.
The major sports organizations now use connected apps, cloud-based software, and these are fed data obtained by wearable devices, on-field cameras, and tracking gadgets. These devices are fitted on the accessories used by the players and also in the fields. The real-time game data is therefore collected and stored for analysis using specialized BI applications.
How does the sports sector gain in many ways by using BI solutions?
- Finding the root cause of performance dip– By using BI tools and apps, players can stay updated on their performance track record. A baseball or basketball league player, for example, can find out in which games he or she performed below the usual level or scored abysmally low. Then, it becomes easier to track down the factors that might have led to reduced output or performance. Once the reasons for performance deficit are found, these can be handled.
- Making more accurate game predictions– The data analysis tool and BI software applications are laden with advanced predictive analysis technologies. By analyzing a large volume of data collected over a span of time, power bi experts can make predictions on the outcome of upcoming matches and games, expected player performance, etc. To make such near-accurate predictions, the BI experts make use of diverse types of qualitative and quantitative data.
- Helping the athletes to evade the risk of injuries– Big data can also be useful for aiding the athletes in evading in-field injuries. This is especially useful for players involved in high-intensity sports like lacrosse, football, and hockey. Using advanced miniatures like sensors and cameras, data is obtained on sports equipment that is unsafe or can lead to on-field injuries. Analyzed data can be used to find out specific playing styles, leading to serious injuries as well. This helps the players in evading injuries, eventually.
- Assessing the suitability of players and coaches/trainers – The sports teams and clubs always want to hire the best performing players, and they also look for new players with untapped talent and potential. When they use cutting-edge BI and data analytics tools, it becomes easier to assess the suitability of various types of players. These tools can use algorithms and qualitative and quantitative data to figure out the prospective players per season. They can also hire suitable trainers and coaches by using these tools.
It is not only about tracking the professional achievements of a coach or player. These tools are also used to gather data and analyze aspects like the history of objectionable behavior, criminal record, physical conditions not suited for sports, etc.
- Aiding the athletes to prepare/practice better- Sometimes, the sportsmen and athletes fail to perform as expected owing to a deficit in practice and preparation methods. The underlying factor leading to improper or inadequate practice can be hard to fathom at times.
Sometimes, the sportsmen and athletes may use supplements and diets that are not ideal, leading to reduced stamina during the games. In some cases, it can be owing to the usage of unsuitable accessories like shoes, attire, or protective gear. Athletes may also fail to perform optimally if they do not adhere to the apt fitness regime.
Data analytics tools are useful for finding such inherent flaws in practice, and these can be modified accordingly.
- Enhancing player safety in a pandemic situation- As the Covid 19 pandemic continues to rage on and the killer virus mutates into newer strains, sports sector entities are resorting to BI tools to ensure player safety. Many universities and schools are using such solutions to ensure player’s safety is not compromised. The sports authorities are using data analytics services to figure out nuances like vaccination status of players, health record since 2020, proximity to containment zone, etc., for the players.
- Developing a suitable strategy for specific games or matches– Sports teams and the coaches can gain from using advanced data analytics tools for devising the apt playing strategy for specific matches. For vital matches, they can use these tools to analyze quantitative data and learn in detail about the potential weaknesses of rival team players. So, this can enhance their winning prospects.
Using data analytics tools can be beneficial for literally all types of athletes and sports sector entities. These include professional league clubs, school, and university-level sports organizations, and the organizations offering training in various types of sports. They can definitely gain by seeking the assistance of the veteran Microsoft Power BI developers.
Summing it up
Sports sector entities of varying types can gain in various ways by deploying suitable BI and data analytics solutions. By using such tools, they get insights on players, trainers, and the risk factors and make more accurate predictions. However, to ensure they can make the best use of such applications, they have to hire suitable BI and data analysis professionals. While there are several such solutions, hiring a veteran Microsoft Power BI service agency is advisable.